TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: It is _Not_ Easy for Teens to Buy Alcohol on the Internet

Re: It is _Not_ Easy for Teens to Buy Alcohol on the Internet

Wesrock@aol.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 21:33:54 EDT

In a message dated Fri, 06 Oct 2006 01:12:26 GMT, Sam Spade
<Sam@coldmail.com> writes:

>> This is completely unbelievable. I know a certain number of people in
>> the wine business, and without exception they ship UPS and require an
>> adult signature upon delivery. In case you hadn't looked, the cost of
>> shipping is high enough that it's only worth online orders for high
>> priced stuff, ten bucks a bottle and up. the typical online order is
>> a hundred bucks or more, hardly attractive to kids.

> Just out of curiousity why do the all slip UPS? FedEx is the
> preferred shipper of many folks.

Perhaps because both UPS and FedEx ground make a charge for pickups
from a business and the sender does not wish to pay for two pickups.
Both UPS and FedEx make contracts with businesses for reduced rates
based on the volume of shipments, and to split the business would
provide a lower volume, and resulting higher rates, from each carrier.

FedEx ground has something like 20 per cent of the package ground
delivery business, I read somewhere, with UPS dominating the
remainder.

If you'e talking about air service, the weight would make shipping
charges exceedingly high.

The Postal Service, of course, is prohibited by law from carrying
alcoholic beverages.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: It is _Not_ Easy for Teens to Buy Alcohol on the Internet"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "T-Mobile to Launch Mixed-Signal Phone"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page