TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellular Roaming Tariffs

Re: Cellular Roaming Tariffs

Raqueeb Hassan (wideangle@gmail.com)
27 Aug 2006 08:57:30 -0700

Michael D. Sullivan wrote:

> On 8/22/2006 4:40 PM, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> > rbc310@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Can anyone direct me to a PUC tariff on inter-carrier cellular roaming
>>> charges?

>> Is there even such a thing as PUC "tariffs" anymore on wireless
>> services? I thought they were completely deregulated and charges were
>> based on your personal contract with the carrier.

>> I know my own contract with my carrier (which is old) offers different
>> roaming areas and charges than newer contracts do of the same carrier.
>> The PUC has nothing to do with it.

> That is correct. State PUCs are explicitly deprived of jurisdiction
> to regulate cellular rates by Section 221(b)(3) of the Communications
> Act, 47 USC 221(b)(3). This is true of both the carrier-consumer
> rates, such as the ones governed by various contracts that may charge
> different rates from contract to contract, and of the
> carrier-to-carrier rates, which are governed by roaming agreements
> between carriers.

<snip>

Well, I guess that applies in US within, what happens in other part of
the world? I'm interested on the inter-carrier cellular roaming
charges by the regulators in Asia.

Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

Go to Next message: mc: "Re: Widow of Tombaugh 'Shook Up' by Decision"
Go to Previous message: ivan.filpo@gmail.com: "Different Area Codes, Same Rate Area, and LNP, Could This be Kept?"
May be in reply to: rbc310@gmail.com: "Cellular Roaming Tariffs"