TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force

Re: Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:53:10 -0400

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote in message

> The deflation meant that if you owed money (like for a mortgage on the
> farm or house), it was harder to pay it since you had to work so much
> harder to get a dollar than in the past -- the dollar was worth more.
> We're used to inflation where the dollar declines and that benefits
> borrowers.

And that -- together with similar deflationary cycles every few
decades in the 19th century -- was one of the source of the notion
that it is inherently evil to be in debt, which is still reverberating
among some personal money management gurus. The Great Depression was
the last deflationary cycle because we fundamentally changed the way
the money supply is controlled. Going back to the gold standard, as
some people advocate, would bring back the deflationary cycles.

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: What's This Telephone Related Item?"
Go to Previous message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Three Texas Men With Cellphones Arrested on Terrorist Charges"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force"