TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: City Party Line Service

Re: City Party Line Service

bv124@aol.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:12:10 -0700

Back in the late '60's and early '70's, in Carbondale, IL (GTE), we
had what was called "suburban" service as we were fifty (50) feet
outside the city limits. This was a ten (10) party line where each
line rang uniquely (no coded ringing.) When you dialed a toll call
(1+), an operator came on the line and asked for the number you were
calling from for billing purposes!

I think it was a SxS office.

Go to Next message: Dennis Ritchie: "Re: Computer "Logic" in 1922 Panel Switching"
Go to Previous message: Sam Spade: "Re: Why I am Opposed to Net Neutrality"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "City Party Line Service"