TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
19 Jul 2006 10:07:16 -0400

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> I am uncomfortable with this. It is one thing to 'search' a student
> to ensure he is not carrying a weapon or stolen property. It is
> another to look into his or her _thoughts_ by reading anything
> belonging to the student, be it a notebook, laptop, etc. I would
> strongly object to this unless there was a court ordered search
> warrant caused by the most gravest of circumstances.

I would tend to agree, but sadly children don't seem to have such
privacy rights. How many times did you see kids passing notes in
class, who were required to give those notes up to the teacher? How
many times did teachers demand to look inside your notebook in school?
This is just an extension of the same thing.

> This kind of power leads to "thought crimes". A kid may have done
> nothing wrong, but doodling or writings may get him charged with
> numerous criminal offenses.

That's been happening since long before I was a kid. Why should we
expect technology to change that?

> Can anyone justify this kind of searching?

I cannot, but my 4th grade English teacher sure did.

--scott

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers - VoIP"
Go to Previous message: crankbuster: "Re: Unable to Access Yahoo! Geocities Websites From India"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones"