TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Pre A/C Central Office Ventilation?

Re: Pre A/C Central Office Ventilation?

DLR (news23@raleighthings.com)
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:49:00 -0400

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Interesting you wrote about this today
>> when the outside temperature here in Independence reached 106 degrees;
>> the hottest for this year so far. My air-conditioning has been running
>> almost continuously for the past two days. I do not know how I
>> survived back in the 1950-60s when the places I worked did not have
>> a/c nor did I have it at home until around 1968 or so. PAT]

> It's warm and humid around here too, which is what prompted me to write
> the note.

> I don't know how working people survived without air conditioning,
> especially 40 years ago when people had to wear much more clothing at
> work than they do now -- men had to wear suits and long sleeved shirts
> (albeit lightweight material), women full dresses. Today young women
> come to work dressed for the beach, pushing the envelope a little too
> much for most employers. Many men don't wear ties. I believe many

Yep. My wife calls it the "nude look". She works in a call center. It
got so distracting they had to implement rules.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: When I worked at University of Chicago
> in the phone room we had overhead ceiling fans which would spin around
> every few feet up and down the room. They did not do much good, IMO.
> PAT]

While you may not have felt it directly, any time someone is sweating,
moving the air around them will have an A/C effect as it evaporates the
sweat. Until the humidity gets into the 90's. Then you don't get enough
evaporation to matter. Which is why you really don't FEEL as hot in a
dry heat like Las Vegas at 110 vs Miami at 95. Just have lots of water
around. :)

Go to Next message: Anders Mikkelsen: "Do the Feds Owe You a BIG Refund on Your Phone Bill?"
Go to Previous message: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: Navy Probes Data Leak on 100,000 Sailors, Marines"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Pre A/C Central Office Ventilation?"