TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: A New Way around the Do Not Call Lists ...

Re: A New Way around the Do Not Call Lists ...

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:01:44 -0400

Ed <ed1ward2@verizon.net> wrote in message

> This past January I got a call from Peruzzi, a local car dealership
> here in Bucks County PA (suburban Philadelphia), wishing me a Happy
> Holiday.

I think people are going around telling each other -- quite falsely --
that if the message doesn't explicitly announce things for sale, it's
not an advertisement and therefore not a violation.

A few weeks ago, a jeweler in my town used an autodialer to invite
people for a free ring cleaning. He told me it wasn't an
advertisement but an invitation. Worse, he made no attempt to avoid
dialing hospitals, fire stations, large PBXes, etc. ... my first
encounter with it was when my secretary got about 8 copies of the
message via other phones rolling over to hers.

I don't know, but I suspect someone is aggressively selling
autodialers by telling people falsehoods about the law.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What may be a bit more tricky, IMO is
when the purported message is to 'wish happy holidays' as our
original writer noted. When such a message is conveyed, is it still
in fact a 'sales call' or an advertising pitch? PAT]

Go to Next message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: A New Way around the Do Not Call Lists ..."
Go to Previous message: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "http://www.privatephone.com/"
May be in reply to: Ed: "A New Way around the Do Not Call Lists ..."