TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: AT&T Seeks Dismissal of EFF Suit

AT&T Seeks Dismissal of EFF Suit

Gwendolyn Mariano (newsfactor@telecom-digest.org)
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:12:19 -0500

Gwendolyn Mariano, newsfactor.com

In the latest round in the ongoing fight over a domestic-spying
program, the Electronic Frontier Foundation went head to head with
AT&T and the U.S. government in federal court on Friday.

U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker heard oral arguments in San
Francisco regarding the government's motion to dismiss the EFF's
class-action lawsuit against AT&T. Walker also heard AT&T's motion to
dismiss the case but did not make any final ruling on whether the suit
can proceed.

The nonprofit EFF, on behalf of a nationwide group of AT&T customers,
first filed the suit on January 31, claiming that AT&T violated the
law and the privacy of its customers by collaborating with the
National Security Agency to wiretap customer communications and spy on
millions of ordinary citizens.

'Wrong Party'

In Friday's hearing, AT&T asked Walker to dismiss the suit, saying
that, according to law, AT&T and other corporations are exempt from
civil suits that involve claims that they cooperated with government
or law-enforcement agencies on matters of national security.

AT&T also said the company obeys the law and does not give out
information on customers to the government or law enforcement without
legal authorization.

"Ultimately, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is suing the wrong
party," executives from AT&T said in a statement. "Their issue is with
the government."

Four years ago, President Bush issued an executive order that
authorized the NSA to wiretap phone and e-mail communications. On
Friday, the government argued that the lawsuit should be halted
because state secrets might be exposed.

'Fishing Expedition'

In the suit, the EFF claims that the NSA is using powerful computers
to retrieve information on its customers via AT&T's telecommunications
facilities and databases that consist of over 300 terabytes of caller
information.

The EFF maintains that AT&T is involved in what the EFF says is the
"largest fishing expedition ever devised." The EFF said it believes
the surveillance program violates the Fourth Amendment, the Foreign
Intelligence Surveillance Act, the Wiretap Act, and the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act.

"We have shown that AT&T is diverting traffic wholesale to the NSA,"
said EFF Staff Attorney Kurt Opsahl. "It is not a secret, and it is no
reason to deny AT&T customers the opportunity to show the court that
this dragnet surveillance program violates the law and their privacy
rights."

No date has been set for Walker's ruling on whether the case will
proceed.

Copyright 2006 NewsFactor Network, Inc.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

For more internet, and tech news each day, please go to:
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/technews.html

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So AT&T, very self-rightously, claims
that EFF is 'suing the wrong party' ... I do not think so! If AT&T
had taken the same stance as Qwest Communications, and refused to
cooperate without a warrant -- which the feds were unwilling to
obtain, they would not be in the mess they are in now. But, let's face
it, AT&T and its new owner Southwestern Bell, i.e. SBC have always
been in bed with the federal government; always very cozy. That's one
reason for a few years now I have refused to have any SBC/AT&T service
in my home at all. I am still dealing with them indirectly of course,
through Prairie Stream, but at least I do not have to deal with them
personally. PAT]