TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under

Re: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under

redefined (roman.korol@gmail.com)
28 Jun 2006 10:15:08 -0700

George Mitchell wrote:

> Google and Amazon are going to have to store any tracking information
> about me on their own servers. (Which is certainly what the Bush
> administration is hoping they will do.)

> George Mitchell

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You have a good point there. PAT]

In order to store the tracking information on their server, they'll
need a way to identify you the next time you return. If you cleared
your cookies, there's really no way of doing that unless your IP stays
the same. And even then, it would be a guess. If the government really
wants to track people's online usage they'll have to give everyone the
option to keep the same IP throughout their lifetime, much like they
allow people to keep their phone numbers now. That way each IP address
will have a name attached to it.

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "Judge Approves Yahoo Click Fraud Settlement"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page