TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Dell Investigating Exploding Laptop

Dell Investigating Exploding Laptop

Reuters News Wire (reuters@telecom-digest.org)
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:15:20 -0500

The Dell laptop computer seen bursting into flames in photographs on
the Internet was being examined as part of the company's probe of the
incident, Dell Inc. said on Tuesday.

"We have captured the notebook and have begun investigating the
event," Dell spokeswoman Anne Camden said, confirming the computer was
made by Dell but declining to specify the model. No one was hurt in
the incident, she said.

The report of an exploding laptop at a conference in Osaka, Japan,
accompanied by digital photos, was first published on technology
industry news Web site The Inquirer last week.

Dell in December 2005 issued a battery recall for some of the
batteries in its laptop due to overheating issues, according to the
company's Web site.

Camden said it was too early to draw any conclusions and added that it
did not appear that the incident had anything to do with the battery
issues related to the recall.

"From here it's going to be a very methodical and meticulous process
to figure out what happened," Camden said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

Go to Next message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - June 28, 2006"
Go to Previous message: Robert McMillan IDG: "Spammers Find Pictures Worth Thousands of Words"
May be reply: Jim Haynes: "Re: Dell Investigating Exploding Laptop"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page