TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under Attack

(Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under Attack

George Mitchell (george@m5p.com)
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:59:54 -0700

Monty Solomon wrote:

> By DAN GOODIN AP Technology Writer
> [...]
> As larger audiences flock to Web sites that run on ever more powerful
> programming scripts, malware writers are finding them fertile ground.

> - http://www.quote.com/home/news/story.asp?story=59357772

This touches on my favorite web gripe: the growing number of web sites
using Javascript. If Amazon and Google can run two of the most
successful site in the world without depending on Javascript,
everybody can. (Regrettably, Amazon now uses Javascript in their book
reader, which used to work fine without it.)

I know this isn't exactly the topic of the original poster, but I feel
better after having had my say about this huge annoyance.

George Mitchell

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Would you rather see sites which use
Javascript switch to using cookies? Both Amazon and Google, to use
your two examples, make liberal use of cookies to keep track of
users. PAT]

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "Wireless Firms Agree on Rules for Mobile Web Sites"
Go to Previous message: George Mitchell: "Re: Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Web Services Increasingly Under Attack"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page