TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Campus Fax Finder

Re: Campus Fax Finder

jtaylor (jtaylor@deletethis.hfx.andara.com)
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:39:13 -0300

Lanman <kvalentino@uss.com> wrote in message
news:telecom25.232.9@telecom-digest.org ...

> I have a project to determine all of the fax machines on our 4000 line
> campus. I would like to find a software package that I can configure
> with our telephone extentions and dial each one and have it record the
> numbers that receive a fax tone ?? Any ideas ?

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Are you certain that your only purpose
> with this is to 'check out' the fax machines under the supervision of
> the person(s) who employ you (for this purpose)? In other words, such
> a program, if one exists, would have no reason to stop at 4000 lines;
> it might as well check for fax machines all over the country, and we
> have had some unfavorable reports here of that happening a lot; that
> is, phone rings, someone answers, dead silence because the caller was
> only looking for fax machines, etc. PAT]

I'm looking for just the same thing.

I hate junk faxes, but I've figured out a way to get some satisfaction.

Currently there is no law that says (where I live) that I cannot
program a computer to call numbers looking for fax machines. I think
there's a restriction in that it cannot call in order, but randomizing
a list is trivial.

What I propose to do is as follows:

a) find fax numbers;
b) when a fax number is found, send a fax saying:
i. hello fax machine, I've found you.
ii. I'm making a list of fax numbers, and you are number <N>;
iii. I am selling my list to companies who wish to do mass faxings;
iv. you can buy my list for $x;
v. you can have your number removed from my list for $y;
vi. if you, like me, hate junk faxes:
1. there's no law aginst it right now;
2. if you, like me, would like a law aganst it, contact one (list of local
legistlators);
3. in the meantime, I'm happy making money.

Think I'll start with the prefixes that cover the local government offices
first ...

Go to Next message: Herb Oxley: "Re: What is Net Neutrality all About?"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: Senator Stevens Offers Compromise on Net Neutrality"
May be in reply to: Lanman: "Campus Fax Finder"