TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Connecticut OKs Plan by AT&T to Offer TV Without a Franchise

Re: Connecticut OKs Plan by AT&T to Offer TV Without a Franchise

John L (johnl@iecc.com)
10 Jun 2006 00:57:07 GMT

>> * Connecticut OKs plan by AT&T to offer TV without a franchise

> One reason we pay a lot in cable fees is that each municipality got
> their hands in the mix and take out their tribute.

Actually, Federal law limits the franchise fee to 5%, so that's what
they all get.

> My town gets several dollars from each customer. How did they get
> along before cable TV tax revenue (relatively new in my area)?

I don't know about your town, but around here, we didn't have to buy
$300,000 fire engines and we didn't have to pay 15% of people's pay
into the pension fund.

>> * Cable & Wireless bails on residential broadband

> I haven't looked at them in a long time, but C&W is an ancient company
> that used to handle overseas telegraph cables and early radio.

Yes, they were originally the Gutta Percha company that made the
insulation for the earliest telegraph cables. They've rather
reinvented themselves in recent years, spun off Hong Kong tel which
was their largest subsidiary, and now they're sort of a generic global
telecom company with a sideline of extracting outrageous monopoly
prices from their little island telcos.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: Microsoft Lauches Security Plan for Windows"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "RFID "Best Practices""
May be in reply to: USTelecom dailyLead: "Connecticut OKs Plan by AT&T to Offer TV Without a Franchise"