TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas

Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas

Carly Mayberry (reuters@telecom-digest.org)
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:14:46 -0500

By Carly Mayberry

Motorists cringing at the cost of fuel can now at least fill up on
current news and information while tethered to the pump.

Internet-enabled Gas Station TV formally launched its digital
television network Monday featuring ABC programming and original
content including local news, sports, weather and traffic. The network
will air constantly updated content to refueling motorists on 20-inch
high-definition LCD monitors embedded in gas dispensers.

GSTV already has conducted a test pilot in Dallas and expects to reach
100 locations of the Wal-Mart-based retail gasoline chain Murphy USA
by September and 400 stations in the top 10 U.S. markets by next year.

"We're very focused on creating an enjoyable and informative
experience for the average of four minutes the user spends at the pump
with content that has a sense of purpose and that can help them," GSTV
CEO David Leider said, describing the venture as based on an
advertising revenue model.

Current content includes "News You Can Use" segments from ABC's "Good
Morning America" along with news, weather forecasts and traffic
updates from ABC-owned stations as well as promotional
material. Rotating ads from such retail brands as Pepsi, Frito-Lay and
US Tobacco are woven into the segments and geared toward driving the
consumer back into the convenience store.

GSTV president Adam Bleibtreu said future collaborations with other
content providers are imminent.

"We view this as a great distribution platform to provide the
appropriate mix of content," Bleibtreu said. "This is a truly captive
audience that we have -- those stuck at the pump -- and this is a
great opportunity to engage them."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

For more news and headlines of interest, please go to:
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/newstoday.html

Go to Next message: Jesse Hiestand: "Minnesota Sued Over Video Game Clampdown"
Go to Previous message: Bob Vaughan: "Re: Political Telemarketing Calls"
May be reply: Ron Kritzman: "Re: Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas"
May be reply: Michael G. Koerner: "Re: Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas"
May be reply: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas"
May be reply: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page