TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Id Theft Made Easy

Re: Id Theft Made Easy

John Schmerold (john@katy.com)
Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:34:18 -0500

Thinking about the USA Today newswire report in the Digest: Here's a
situation where I'd like to see a juicy class-action suit against the
3 credit bureaus. If there was a simple way to lock and unlock your
credit record without charge, identity theft would be difficult. After
all, if the evil doer can't open accounts in my name, there is only so
much damage that is possible. A few nice, expensive class action suits
would encourage the credit bureaus to solve this problem.

TELECOM Digest Editor wrote, quoting newswire:

> With a little computer savvy and a few keystrokes, identity thieves
> can invade your privacy, run up your credit card bills, pilfer bank
> accounts and create years of financial nightmares.

> A name, date of birth and Social Security number are all the thieves
> need. Because of slipshod procedures to protect computer data, the
> Department of Veterans Affairs might have given them just that.

Go to Next message: Ken Abrams: "Re: Bad Static, Humming, and Disconnects"
Go to Previous message: Ron Kritzman: "Re: Telegram in TV Show 1984; Payphone in TV Show 2006"
May be in reply to: USA Today News Wire: "Id Theft Made Easy"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page