TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Outages During Disasters

Re: Cell Phone Outages During Disasters

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
4 Jun 2006 00:38:49 -0000

> Is it true that roaming cell phones can't work independently of
> resources in the home market?

Yes. They need to check with the home system to see if the roamer has
an active account and to exchange billing info.

> I would have assumed that the databases they need to refer to make
> outgoing calls (and perhaps the ones for inbound calls to be
> redirected to them in another market) wouldn't be centralized in the
> phone's home market, but be located elsewhere.

Why would they do that? Surely you aren't under the misimpression
that disaster survivability drives their network design.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: Cell Phone Outages During Disasters"
Go to Previous message: Joshua Putnam: "Re: The Risk of Misplaced Myspace Hysteria"
May be in reply to: Lee Sweet: "Cell Phone Outages During Disasters"