TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: RTV in Phone Jack

RTV in Phone Jack

sawney beane (beadle1833@fmail.co.uk)
Wed, 31 May 2006 16:06:32 -0400

Yesterday my neighbor said for two days he'd had no phone service
except to put the phone by the window and plug it in outside. He
asked if I could check his wiring.

Outside, I found that one of the contacts on his plug was invisible.
There appeared to be unpigmented RTV in the jack. It had the physical
characteristics of RTV when I scraped it off the plug. That restored
his service. He said the crackling he'd had for two months was gone.

He keeps his gates locked so nobody will accidentally let his alert
dogs out. Two months ago a woman from Bellsouth restored his service
on the street pole. She also came into his yard. We couldn't think
of any other possibility.

Bellsouth will annoy me with useless telemarketing day after day, so I
don't know how they think. Could Bellsouth be injecting RTV into
phone jacks because they think it's preventive maintenance or to
create more service calls?

Go to Next message: bob@coolgroups.com: "Perfect Hangup"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - Wednesday, May 31, 2006"
May be reply: Paul A Lee: "Re: RTV in Phone Jack"
May be reply: sawney beane: "Re: RTV in Phone Jack"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page