TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Owners Just Want Simple Phones

Re: Cell Phone Owners Just Want Simple Phones

Dave Close (dave@compata.com)
Tue, 30 May 2006 07:00:38 UTC

David Twiddy <ap@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> So far, Sprint Nextel is doing something right as its subscribers
> spend the highest average amount for data services in the industry.

Something right for the stockholders, or something right for the
customers? Many of us are severely annoyed by the nickle-and-dime
pricing approach of the carriers. We might pay a proportionate amount
extra for a worthwhile service, but $$ for a ringtone? More money for
a 10-second audio clip than for a full track on iTunes? Mature adults
just say no.

> Charles Golvin of Forrester Research said a recent survey indicated
> few cellular customers choose a phone based on its usability,
> typically because they either don't think there's anything better or,
> like Bales in Kansas City, don't think they need those services.

One thing Sprint is doing wrong, IMHO, is narrowing the choice of
phones available. They don't offer simple phones any more. I know that
electronic economics means you can always get more for less as time
passes, but sometimes you still just want less.

I'm in the market for a new phone. I want a "candy-bar" style phone
with a USB connector that allows me to manage my name list using my
computer. I don't own or want to own any Windows or Mac systems. I
don't care about a camera or browser. I don't care about a color
screen. I do want a keyboard with all the numbers of equal size and
arranged in a rectangular grid and with very few additional keys. The
keys should be essentially the only moving parts on the phone. Can
anyone suggest a candidate for my business?

Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Greed is to the moralists of the
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 left what sex is to the moralists
dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu of the right." - Cathy Young

Go to Next message: Sam Spade: "Re: Middle Class Goes Broadband As Price Falls"
Go to Previous message: Arthur Kamlet: "Re: Telephone 'Luxury' Tax Now Discontinued"
May be in reply to: David Twiddy: "Cell Phone Owners Just Want Simple Phones"