TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: School District to Monitor Student Blogs

Re: School District to Monitor Student Blogs

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Tue, 23 May 2006 18:58:52 -0400

> "The concept that searching a blog site is an invasion of privacy is
> almost an oxymoron," he said. "It is called the World Wide Web."

I agree that a school has a perfect right to *watch* students' public
behavior outside of school, such as posting blogs. The difficulty
arises only if they want to impose a punishment for something done
outside of the school and not directly affecting it. This in turn
depends partly on to what extent the school can be trusted to
administer justice fairly.

Frequently, public schools make the headlines for imposing a totally
unreasonable penalty on a student; it's as if they don't know how to
back down after making a mistake. I'm afraid that might happen here:
a school administrator completely misunderstands something on a web
page and lowers the boom.

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: BellSouth Demands Retraction of NSA Report from USA Today"
Go to Previous message: Raqueeb Hassan: "Re: Analog T1 Line vs. Digital T1 Line"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "School District to Monitor Student Blogs"