TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers

Re: Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
18 May 2006 18:12:12 -0000

> What wasn't clear to me from the announcement was whether the call is
> free if it's placed within the US and Canada, or whether it terminates
> whithin the US and Canada. The former implies originating in the
> targeted area, whereas the latter could originate anywhere.

The latter, calls to US and Canada numbers are now free. (You would
already know this if you had spent 10 seconds pointing your browser at
http://www.skype.com .) Skype has only the vaguest idea of where
you're located.

> I'm curious, though, because I know someone in Afghanistan who uses
> Skype to communicate with relatives in the US. It would make a huge
> difference to him.

Since the rate used to be about two cents a minute, he must be making
some impressively long calls.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Spam Daily News: "US Demands Colleges be Wiretapped Also"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Free Calls With Skype???"
May be in reply to: john@mayson.us: "Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers"