TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dialing 311? Hold That Call

Re: Dialing 311? Hold That Call

Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@panix.com)
Tue, 16 May 2006 06:32:13 +0000 (UTC)

In article <telecom25.183.4@telecom-digest.org>, Monty Solomon
<monty@roscom.com> wrote:

> http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/05/14/dialing_311_hold_that_call/

> I believe that using 311 as the telephone access code for the
> centralized request line is not a good idea in 2006. 311 works only if
> all callers in the city can reach it -- if it's ''routable," in
> telecom industry lingo.

This is nonsense. 311 is used in some of the most competitive
telephone markets in the country, including New York City -- and
customers of all carriers can reach it just fine.

Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: The Balance Between National Security and Privacy?"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "BellSouth denies giving NSA records"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Dialing 311? Hold That Call"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page