TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Calling the USA while traveling in Europe Query ?

Calling the USA while traveling in Europe Query ?
16 May 2006 10:08:06 -0700

I'm new to internet telephone service.

I'm going to be travelling in Europe this summer and need to be able
to talk periodically to people in the US. I will have my portable
computer with a wireless card. Can I load Skype softward on my
computer and then use Skype from an internet connection in the hotel?

What better ways might you suggest for inexpensive voice communication
back to the US from Europe?

While I'm at it, I gather that I will need some kind of headset/micro-
phone in order to use Skype. I'm considering the Logitech 350; any
opinions on this or a better solution?

Many thanks,

Don Doyle

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This is sort of a toss up for me,
trying to suggest _which_ service is best. Personally, I would go
with Vonage which is essentially the same except instead of a
headset/microphone (attached to the computer) you use a TA (telephone
adapter box) attached to the incoming broadband port (which you would
have to use for your laptop computer anyway) and a telephone (any phone
will do) which plugs into the TA box.) You get the TA box free when you
sign up with Vonage (or several other companies) and phones usually
are a lot less expensive than a good microphone. PAT]

Post Followup Article Use your browser's quoting feature to quote article into reply
Go to Next message: Cellular-News: "Cellular-News: Tuesday 16th May 2006"
Go to Previous message: Agence France Presse News Wire: "NYC Central Park Getting Free WiFi"
Next in thread: "Re: Calling the USA while traveling in Europe Query ?"
May be reply: "Re: Calling the USA while traveling in Europe Query ?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page