TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Nokia Launches Google Talk

Nokia Launches Google Talk

Reuters News Wire (reuters@telecom-digest.org)
Tue, 16 May 2006 16:02:56 -0500

Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone maker, unveiled a new version
of its Internet tablet device running Google Talk communications
software on Tuesday.

The deal between Finnish-based Nokia and Web search leader Google Inc.
allows people to chat with other users of instant-messaging software
via the Nokia Wi-Fi device, which relies on short-range wireless
networks.

The Nokia 770 Internet tablet, introduced last year, offers wireless
access to digital music and video, as well as access to e-mail.

The new version of the Internet tablet, unveiled in Stockholm on
Tuesday, also has a full-screen finger keyboard.

Rather than using cell-phone networks, the 770 device relies on
unregulated local wireless connections.

Ari Virtanen, of Nokia's Multimedia division, said the device had been
selling well since its launch last year.

"The first months have been very encouraging," he told a news
conference, adding that sales of the product had ramped up in November
and sold out in the Christmas market.

The product reached its volume expectations for 2005 and Nokia was
heading into mass volumes of the 770, he said, adding that the
profitability target for the device was about the same as for other
Nokia products.

Virtanen said Nokia did not see any direct rivalry between the tablet
and regular mobile phones.

"I cannot see any direct competition between these two business
domains. Of course, they always overlap, but we do not see any direct
competition," he said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

For more headlines and news from Reuters, please go to:
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/newstoday.html

Go to Next message: Agence France Presse News Wire: "NYC Central Park Getting Free WiFi"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Re: The Balance Between National Security and Privacy?"
May be reply: john@mayson.us: "Re: Nokia Launches Google Talk"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page