TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Using Dilution to Fight Phishers

Re: Using Dilution to Fight Phishers

harold@hallikainen.com
30 Apr 2006 08:21:00 -0700

I've had a similar "dilution" system on my website for years, but this
is for spammers harvesting email addresses. At the bottom of the page
at http://www.hallikainen.org is a list of randomly generated mailto
email addresses. Ideally they have harvested millions of false email
addresses off here and are wasting time sending to them.

Another nice idea is "honey pots" where spammers harvest the
addresses, then, when they send to it, they are added to block
lists. I haven't done this as yet, though.

Harold

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do the same thing on the web page for
this Digest http://telecom-digest.org I have a link to what is
called 'Spam Poison' near the top; clicking on that sends the spam
harvesters to a site where they get into an endless loop of garbage.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Big League Spammer Ralsky in Custody; May be Singing..."
Go to Previous message: Koos van den Hout: "Re: California Okays Broadband Over Power Lines Test"
May be in reply to: Munir Kotadia ZDNET Australia: "Using Dilution to Fight Phishers"