TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular

Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
21 Apr 2006 03:38:52 -0000

> 1. Can a VoIP number be ported to cellular?
> 2. Can a VoIP number be ported to POTS?
> 3. Can a VoIP number be ported to another VoIP provider?
> 4. Can a cellular number be ported to POTS?
> 5. Can a cellular number be ported to VoIP?
> 6. Can a cellular number be ported to another cellular provider? (I
> think that the answer is yes.)
> 7. Can a POTS number be ported to cellular? (I think that the
> answer is yes.)
> 8. Can a POTS number be ported to VoIP? (I think that the answer is
> yes.)

The answers to all of those questions should be yes, except perhaps
in a few rural areas that don't have portability yet.

For portability purposes, there's no such thing as a VoIP number.
VoIP carriers contract with CLECs for their numbers (or might be a
CLEC in AT&T's case), and CLEC numbers are POTS numbers.

I've ported a number from Vonage to Lingo, nothing special about the
process.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - Friday, April 21, 2006"
May be in reply to: xx-google@telefog.com: "Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular"