TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?

Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?

Koos van den Hout (koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl)
9 Apr 2006 20:08:11 GMT

Thomas A. Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote in
<telecom25.129.5@telecom-digest.org>:

> So what the heck are all those little talks with the cell tower about if
> they don't even exchange the time of day while they are at it? (My
> definition of "useful" must be different than my cellphone's).

I'm no cellphone technician or protocol technician, but for as far as
I know it boils down to "I'm here!", "I'd like to register with cell
0x6EC1", "I'd like to stay with cell 0x6EC1" and more of the same.

Koos

Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites| Koos van den Hout
http://www.camp-wireless.org/ | http://idefix.net/~koos/
PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5| Fax +31-30-2817051

Go to Next message: Henry: "Re: Sharing One Line for Fax and Voice?"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: What Happened to Me"
May be in reply to: Thomas A. Horsley: "What do Cellphones Talk About?"