TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Train Passengers - Images Frozen in Time

Re: Train Passengers - Images Frozen in Time

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
6 Apr 2006 13:26:51 -0700

TELECOM hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You refer to the book as 'Plainview'
> but I do not think that was the correct name. There were two studies,
> about fifteen years apart, and the place they referenced was Muncie,
> IN, a small town in Indiana and also the home of Ball State University.
> (But they did not mention Ball State by name [it would have given away
> too many clues] and only wrote in general, statistical terms for the
> most part.) The two-part study was intended as a sociological effort
> discussing the 'typical' American small town. The town was intended
> to remain anonymous, and did so for about twenty years following the
> second part of the study in 1954. PAT]

The library catalog has them as:

"Plainview USA"
"Plainview, 15 years later"

I believe they picked a small town in Missouri; this town was rather
small and poor and I don't think any college was there. I'm pretty
sure there was a separate but similar study for Muncie, Indiana called
"Middleton".

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Cellphones in Flight? This Means War!"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Apple Computer 30th Birthday"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Train Passengers - Images Frozen in Time"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page