TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Kinderstart Sues Google Regards Index Placement

Re: Kinderstart Sues Google Regards Index Placement

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:07:22 UTC

In <telecom25.112.2@telecom-digest.org> Reuters News Wire
<reuters@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> Kinderstart sues Google over lower page ranking

> A parental advice Internet site has sued Google Inc., charging it
> unfairly deprived the company of customers by downgrading its
> search-result ranking without reason or warning.

[ snip ]

I fail to see how these suits even get to the light of day. Google is
a private ranking firm, and aside from the larger societal laws
regarding discrimination on race, etc., they should be free to do
whatever they want with their scoring.

If I put together a list of shoeshine vendors and leave some out, then
unless they can show it's based on a pattern of racism (or similar...)
they don't have a shoe to stand on.

(If I make the claim that I've listed every single one, though, then
they might, might ... have a leg regarding false advertising. Maybe.)

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: jared: "Re: Kinderstart Sues Google Regards Index Placement"
Go to Previous message: cellular-news: "cellular-news for Tuesday 21st March 2006"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Kinderstart Sues Google Regards Index Placement"