TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

Carl Zwanzig (zbang@radix.net)
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:06:36 -0000

Following up on my own post:

Carl Zwanzig <zbang@radix.net> wrote:

> Just to muddy the waters a bit -- in some cities, San Francisco for
> instance, some apartment blocks had ammonia-cycle cold boxes in each
> apartment. These were supplied by an ammonia compressor in the
> basement. ISTR that maybe once a year, the SF fire department finds a
> leak. Even though the system might have been turned off years ago,
> there's stll gas in the pipes. A friend lived in one of these place
> for a while.

In an email, someone asks basically "What were they thinking? Earthquakes?
Dangerous?"

This fits right in there with gas lamps. OTOH, central cooling systems
didn't have an installed base in 1906, so when the city was rebuilding
it wasn't a concern. I'd say the same went for multi-story masonry
buildings. Before then, there weren't that many taller buildings and
the main material was wood. They did find out that wood burns.

If my copious spare time, I may hit some of the books and look for more
info. (I have at least one devoted to ammonia refrigeration systems.)

z!

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)"
Go to Previous message: Mark Atwood: "Re: Verizon's FiOS TV Service Takes Off in Texas"
May be in reply to: Dave Grebe: "Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)"