TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power

Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:29:06 GMT

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:38:22 -0600, John Hines wrote:

> Justa Lurker <JustaLurker@att.net> wrote:

>> Not necessarily ... the resulting waveform would be quite fine
>> ... imagine a 25 Hz motor on one side turning a shaft connected to a
>> 60 Hz alternator.

> That is how it works. I remember doing some computer work for a
> company that developed aircraft electronics. In the back room with
> the ups and such were a couple of motor-generators that produced 400hz
> power, which is used in large jets. This was routed to the test
> benches and such.

> They have been used as online ups for a long time, usually with a
> flywheel to store the energy. Very low maintenance devices, that have
> been around for ages.

Sure, for enough 400Hz power for aircraft electronics. I also remember
dynamotors for land mobile transmitters. But it doesn't sound viable
for a power generating dam, especially when you could have the
equipment by just replacing the original turbine driven generator.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)"
May be in reply to: John McHarry: "Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power"