TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power

Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:39:57 GMT

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:45:53 +0000, Justa Lurker wrote:

> John McHarry wrote:

>> Whether I was told so, or figured out later, this must have been done
>> with rotating machinery. I would guess, unless there is a cute hack I
>> am unaware of, this would give a nasty waveform, but would probably be
>> smoothed out by the rest of the grid.

> Not necessarily ... the resulting waveform would be quite fine
> ... imagine a 25 Hz motor on one side turning a shaft connected to a
> 60 Hz alternator.

That wouldn't be very efficient, and I think would cost more than
simply replacing the 25Hz generators with 60Hz models.

There was another post that pointed to a couple of large users
consuming 25Hz power near the dam. It could be they consumed the 25Hz
output and the rest of the then CIPS customers were supplied native
60Hz power. This strikes me as more plausible than what I was told as
a youth.

Go to Next message: John Hines: "Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power"
Go to Previous message: William Warren: "Re: 208/240V, was: 25 Hz Powe"
May be in reply to: John McHarry: "Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power"