TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power

Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power

BobT (fake@invalid.net)
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:38:56 GMT

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:01:52 GMT, John McHarry <jmcharry@comcast.net>
wrote:

> When I was young I was told that the dam at Keokuk, IA generated 25Hz
> power. Since construction was completed in 1913, this may well have
> been true. I was also told that the power was by then converted to
> 60Hz and fed into the grid.

This is probably no longer true, but in the 60's/70's, Union Electric
(as it was then) still had a 25 Hz grid. Keokuk in particular had a
number of electrochemical industries that were on this grid. By the
time Griffin Wheel (an electric arc furnace operation) came to town,
no new customers were being connected at 25 Hz, and Griffin used 60 Hz
power.

I don't know what proportion of Keokuk dam 25 Hz production was
converted to 60 Hz.

Go to Next message: Justa Lurker: "Re: Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Little-Used Corner of Net Becomes Piracy Battlefield"
May be in reply to: John McHarry: "Keokuk Dam & 25Hz Power"