TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 25 Hz Power

Re: 25 Hz Power

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:26:48 GMT

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A water cooler with a DC motor is
> interesting; but did you ever see a _refrigerator_ powered by -gas-
> rather than -electricity-? I had one of those in a long since for-
> gotten apartment in Chicago back in the 1960's. No motor of course, no
> compressor, etc, but it was a refrigerator, freezer, etc, and I think
> (cannot remember for sure) it was manufactured by 'Frigidaire
> Company'. Totally silent of course. I have no idea how it worked; if
> I ever knew, I have since forgotten. PAT]

My mother had one of those, probably in the early 50s. When it was
replaced by a more modern unit, it was moved to the back porch and used in
the summer to cool melons and stuff. I guess this was high tech for the
back porch -- the neighbors had an ice box on theirs for similar uses.

I think those were ammonia-water absorption cycle refrigerators. I
seem to recall its making little gurgling noises from time to time.

Go to Next message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: SS7/Intelligent Networks"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "208/240V, was: 25 Hz Power (L"
May be in reply to: Michael G. Koerner: "25 Hz Power"