TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 25 Hz Power

Re: 25 Hz Power

Herb Stein (herb@herbstein.com)
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 04:08:17 GMT

(Thomas D. Horne) "Electrician" <hornetd@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Boston Edison used to provide 600 volt DC service for the operation of
> elevators and cranes. I don't know if they still do.

I know Milwaukee, WI had DC available at some point in the distant past. I
used to have a water cooler with a DC motor from downtown somewhere.

Upper Michigan had 25Hz (cycles/second at the time) at a number of
copper mining operations, if memory serves.

> Tom Horne

> "This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous
> for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Herb Stein
herb@herbstein.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A water cooler with a DC motor is
interesting; but did you ever see a _refrigerator_ powered by -gas-
rather than -electricity-? I had one of those in a long since for-
gotten apartment in Chicago back in the 1960's. No motor of course, no
compressor, etc, but it was a refrigerator, freezer, etc, and I think
(cannot remember for sure) it was manufactured by 'Frigidaire
Company'. Totally silent of course. I have no idea how it worked; if
I ever knew, I have since forgotten. PAT]

Go to Next message: Dale Farmer: "Re: 25 Hz power"
Go to Previous message: William Warren: "Re: 25 Hz Power"
May be in reply to: Michael G. Koerner: "25 Hz Power"