TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: [Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)

Re: [Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)

Wesrock@aol.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:59:25 EST

In a message dated Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:00:27 -0700, Anthony Bellanga
<anthonybellanga@notchur.biz> writes:

>> Coffeyville, Kansas, and South Coffeyville, Oklahoma

> I would *assume* that "protected" seven-digit local dialing is still
> available between the OK (918) and KS (620) sides. Many local telcos
> and state regulatory agencies still allow permissive seven-digit local
> dialing across area code (and state) boundaries in rural areas with
> smaller local calling areas, but even that isn't always the case
> though now-a-days!

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not think OK/KS allows 7-D in the
> Coffeyville situation. Bartlesville, OK is in the 'regional' directory
> which includes South Coffeyville (but _not_ C'ville itself) and when I
> was there last week on a couple occassions I spent a few minutes as my
> disposition permitted, looking at the regional phone book for clues of
> one kind or another. It said rather plainly 'for calls to points in
> southeast Kansas including Caney (literally across the _street_ from
> a tiny place called Copan, OK), Coffeyville, Independence, etc dial
> 1-620 and the number.' I was hardly in a position to ssy either way
> for sure I was so sick and confused the days I was there. PAT]

Coffeyville and South Cofferville were at one time served from the
same central office and from the same machine (located in Kansas).
They probably still are, since it would be illogical to have a second
wire center on the Oklahoma side unless it has grown mightily, which I
don't think it has.

Caney and Copan are about 10 miles apart, not across the street, and
historically have been served from different c.o.'s.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well what about Caney, KS and Dewey,
OK in that case? PAT]

Go to Next message: john687@yahoo.com: "Small Multi-Site Voice Network"
Go to Previous message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: Crossborder 7-Digit (Dial 1)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page