TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: AOL to Give Free Email to Non Profits

Re: AOL to Give Free Email to Non Profits

danny burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 02:32:26 UTC

In <telecom25.90.2@telecom-digest.org> Reuters News Wire
<reuters@telecom-digest.org> writes:

[ snip ]

> "There will be no requirement, ever, for not-for-profits who deliver
> e-mail to AOL members to pay for e-mail certification and delivery,"
> Charles Stiles, AOL's Postmaster, said.

Hopefully they're not going to get suckered into the same exemptions
the Do Not Call legislation allowed for phone calls. A "not for
profit" label, even if IRS approved, is NOT a clean bill of health.

And ... the Do Not Call list famously exempted politicians. (Wonder
why????)

> MoveOn sent an e-mail to its membership claiming the "very existence
> of online civic participation and the free Internet as we know it are
> under attack by America Online."

Yawn. MoveOn (and its ilk -- don't mean to specifically point them out)
is an advocacy group promoting an agenda.

Oh, and fundraising. There's always fundraising.

I see no reason they should be treated any differetly than "people for
baby seal hunting" or, for that matter, Sears or McDonalds -- which
are also engaged in fund raising..

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: How Can I Change the Ring?"
Go to Previous message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: Long-Term AT&T Investors"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "AOL to Give Free Email to Non Profits"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page