TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. (spamtrap100@comcast.net)
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:59:13 -0700

Dan Lanciani <ddl@danlan.com> wrote:

> Back when the transition to ATSC was first detailed the FCC (if I
> recall correctly) stated that each licensee would be required to
> provide one stream of free programming in a resolution no less than
> that of its previous analog broadcast. Beyond this, stations are free
> to use the remaining bandwidth for whatever they wish (including pay
> services). This troubled me at the time, but most people I talked to
> seemed to dismiss the issue.

> There have already been a couple of schemes to use part of the ATSC
> bandwidth for pay services, though I can't tell from the original
> article whether this is one of them or whether they are talking about
> analog broadcasts. Regardless, I expect we will see a lot more of
> this as ATSC becomes more ubiquitous (and independent of whether
> analog broadcasts are discontinued).

Yep -- tis already spreading. This is an older article, but AFAIK US Digital is
still going strong:

Go to Next message: nospam4me@mytrashmail.com: "Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - February 16, 2006"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"