TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Home PBX

Home PBX

Humanplant (goatfarm@bellsouth.net)
14 Feb 2006 08:54:45 -0800

Has anyone heard or have any experience with a company called SOHO-PBX?

They are selling small PBX on ebay and have a website, http://SOHO-PBX.com.
I am looking for exactly what they have, but hate to just jump into
buying one (at around $80) without any information. It appears that
they are centered in Hong Kong. It doesn't look like they are selling
a bunch of their products on ebay, possibly due to the low cost and
high shipping (ex. $10 for the pbx, $70 -- depending on model -- to
get it shipped to USA) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If you are seeking a _small_ PBX with a
lot of programmable features (it defaults to 2 external lines and 6
extensions; is intended _not_ for heavy traffic but rather for covering
a large amount of space with the ability to call between 'extensions'
and 'forward' the same extensions around in a flexible way and is
totally modular, then you might want to consider 'Totalcom', a small,
relatively light-weight unit which can hang on a wall in a closet
somewhere distributed by Mike Sandman http://sandman.com/pdf/page76.pdf
in his latest catalog. Mike is out of Roselle, IL and he does give
very good customer service. It is not the least expensive either, but
does a very good job. Totally non-blocking, and you can program many,
many features. The one I have from him has a thirty-page manual with
programming instructions, which are all done from a touch-tone phone
which serves as an 'operators console'. He gets around $350 for his
unit, but, as noted, is totally modular, take it out of the box, plug
it in, and use it with no programming at all if you wish. As defaulted,
either of the two incoming lines ring through on the 'operator'
station, which is extension 100, also aliased to '0' from internal
use. As defaulted, the extensions are 100 through 105, with
extensions 106 and 107 also aliased to 'dial 9' and/or 'dial 8' for
outgoing calls. With no programming at all, 'dial 9' simply toggles
between whatever line is plugged into port 106 and 107 (or if you have
two outgoing calls at one time)to each of them. One small programming
change allows '9' to force calls out on one line, and '8' to force
calls out on the other line. (I do it that way, with my 'local'
Prairie Stream line going out on '9' and my Vonage line going out on
'8'.) Incoming calls on either Vonage or Prairie Stream ring through
a common audible to extension 100, but can be picked up from any
extension by dialing '*70'. It is not, strictly speaking a PBX; it is
more correctly, a 'line sharing device', and I have a bunch of modems
sharing 'extension 105' with my fax machine on extension 104. I use
extensions 100, 101, 102, and 103 around my house. For my needs, it is
ideal, or maybe even a little bit overkill. With me, it is not a
question of massive amounts of phone traffic, but my own inability to
move quickly as needed to get to a ringing phone and also to have my
Vonage long distance line and my local line both in easy reach from
any phone in the system. PAT]