TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: N11 Codes

Re: N11 Codes

DLR (news22@raleighthings.com)
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 06:05:01 -0500

Neal McLain wrote:

> Further to my previous message [TD 25:64] about one-call centers, the
> FCC has designated 811 as a universal one-call number. All available
> N11 codes are now in use in the United States, either by FCC assignment
> or by what the FCC calls "traditional usage":

> 211 Community Information and Referral Services
> 311 Non-Emergency Police and Other Governmental Services
> 411 Local Directory Assistance
> 511 Traffic and Transportation Information (US);
> Available for Reassignment (Canada)
> 611 Repair Service
> 711 Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS)
> 811 Access to One Call Services to Protect Pipeline and
> Utilities from Excavation Damage (US); Available for
> Reassignment (Canada)
> 911 Emergency
> Source: 2003 NeuStar, Inc. http://tinyurl.com/7zu2v

> According to the Dig Safely website, no one-call center has started
> using 811 yet. http://tinyurl.com/bcuek

> According to the FCC order, it must be fully implemented by April 2007.

> http://tinyurl.com/8phdo

> Neal McLain

One would have thought that just maybe they'd reserve 811 for 811xx
things so more could be added later. :(

Go to Next message: Tom Horsley: "Re: Gonzales Defends Bush Eavesdropping"
Go to Previous message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: So, Did it Snow By You on Sunday?"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "N11 Codes"