TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Western Union Public Telegram Offices

Re: Western Union Public Telegram Offices

DLR (news22@raleighthings.com)
Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:21:09 -0500

> It is an interesting question. I strongly suspect the Bell System
> compiled completion-time statistics for toll calls and as the 1950s
> wore on the times decreased. In the 1950s the Bell System was busy
> upgrading its toll network with microwave and coax cables and No 4
> crossbar switching. I wonder in 1954 what percentage of subscribers
> had DDD and what percentage of subscribers had operators who had toll
> dialing capability.

I have an early childhood memory. I think it is from a variety show
staring Gary Moore. But I'd never swear to that name. He's doing a
skit where his sidekick is telling him his new Direct Dial number and
he goes on and on with digits. My memory was this was just after the
"Bell System" announced country wide LD direct dial.

Being born in 1954 I'm guessing this was around 1960 or so?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There were a lot of jokes on this
topic during the 1960's. One person would ask for another person's
phone number and the response would go on and on and on, with a long
string of digits, and then for an added laugh, one or the other would
inquire "do I need to put a '1' in front of that?" PAT]