TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still

Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still

DLR (news22@raleighthings.com)
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:15:56 -0500

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Monty Solomon wrote:

>> You've been trapped. In a cellphone dead zone.

> Apparently digital signals used today aren't as "enrobing" as analog
> signals and are more easily blocked by buildings or terrain. After a
> big push to switch people to digital dead zone complaints soared. The
> wireless carriers have to put a lot more antennas in and study tricky
> locations to ensure continual service.

> Public safety departments using new digital radios have had the same
> problem with dead spots. Their old analog sets were more reliable.

> I was riding a train and the other passengers lost their signal. My
> old analog phone kept working.

> In more remote areas people use older style "bag phones" with a higher
> powered analog signal to have service. Apparently there is no
> replacement for this yet, and analog is supposed to be retired in a
> few years, which will leave rural areas in big trouble.

The main problem was that there was no practical way to get anywhere
near the subscriber counts we have today with analog. It just took up
way too much bandwidth. They could make the digital phones more
"powerful" but that would make them larger or reduce the battery life
or require you start pulling out antennas again. Marketing and
perceived convenience (at the point of sale) beats practicality again.

> As a user, I'm concerned that if I take a motor trip, and go a few
> miles off the main highway to an isolated area, that I'll lose service
> at a point where I'll need it the most in an emergency.

Uh, and this takes you back to what dark age? 1995? 2000? I often
wonder how I survived driving on roads without sidewalks, curbs, and
most without painted center lines. If your car broke down you got out
and walked to a house and hoped they didn't shoot before they could
see you well. :)

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still"
Go to Previous message: Thomas A. Horsley: "Re: As Gadgets Get It Together, Media Makers Fall Behind"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still"