TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby

Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby

Dale Farmer (dale@cybercom.net)
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:35:31 GMT

David B. Horvath wrote:

> Please mung my address PAT. Name is fine.

> On 30 Jan 2006 07:27:50 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> Many states offer official photo-IDs for people who do not have a
>> driver's license. New York State does. I would think it'd be more
>> prudent to carry such an ID card rather than a passport in case it's
>> lost or stolen. (see: http://www.nysdmv.com/license.htm )

> The advantage of the passport is that it does not have address. It
> also does not have SSN (or a key that is easily cross-referenced to
> SSN). You can have a driver's license and a passport (I don't believe
> you're really allowed to have the license and the non-license ID). In
> addition, many people look down on the the non-driver's ID's believing
> that the holder is unable to get a license (or it has been revoked for
> some reason) rather than a reasoned choice.

> I'll use my passport when I know I'm going to need specific ID (new
> job, getting a mortgage, etc.).

> - David

A friend of mine ( now deceased ) had a Massachusetts ID card. He
didn't drive for a number of reasons, mainly because he had severe
vision problems. When he went to the bank to cash a check that had
been written on an account from that bank, they wouldn't accept the
Massachusetts non-driver ID card. They did end up accepting his all
area access pass from a science fiction convention he had worked on
before and still happened to have in his wallet.

--Dale

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby"