TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: History of Hayes Modem

Re: History of Hayes Modem

Jeff Sutter (lurkeroo@yahoo.com)
27 Jan 2006 00:47:25 -0800

John Levine wrote:

>> That's true. I felt the original posting implied that Hayes invented
>> something entirely new; which wasn't quite true.

> As far as I know, his was the first modem to use in-band signalling.
> It was really rather clever to build a UART into the modem and use it
> to let the computer control the modem over the same channel as it used
> to communicate with the remote system.

Nope, that honor goes to Bizcomp, who predated Hayes by two years.

Go to Next message: Chris Farrar: "Re: Cell Phone For "Mature" Folks"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: The Coming Tug of War Over the Internet -- Wash Post"
May be in reply to: The Great Idea Finder: "History of Hayes Modem"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page