TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto

Re: How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto

obsidian (obsidian@vlaanderen.terra.sol)
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:24:57 +0100

I live in Europe (to be precise Belgium).

Since the NANP consists of some 20 countries (USA, Can, Carib) is there a
way of "knowing" from the +1 800 (888, ...) number to which actual country
it is destined for?

obsidian

Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, gladman911@gmail.com wrote:

>> Can someone tell me how to dial 800 and 888 numbers in the US from
>> Toronto?

> Use Skype. Skype's calls enter +1 land as USA domestic calls, and
> thus can access US-accessible toll-free numbers. What's more, Skype
> won't charge you for them.

> Skype can NOT, however, access Canada-only toll-free numbers.

> -- Mark --

> http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
> Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
> Si vis pacem, para bellum.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There is no easy way. For many years
all those other countries shared area code 809, but I think 809 went
exclusively to Puerto Rico (which is part of the USA [with the phone
priviledges given to USA subscribers]) and the other countries were
assigned elsewhere. A couple of islands in the Pacific Ocean which
were originally international points (telephonically speaking) have
since been moved into NANPA. In my opinion, NANPA is a very screwed up
mess with various places that should NOT be in it attached, using the
USA 'area code' type numbers and the '1' country code. No where else
in the world other than Russia ('7') and the USA (and its collection
of immediate neighbors sharing '1')gets to do that. Europe is a big
collection of '4's, etc. I would prefer to see '1' broken up also,
with for example eastern-USA as '11', western-USA as '12', Canada as
'13', Carribean countries as '14' in each case followed by thier area
codes or other breakdowns. Such a system would also allow each of
these 'countries' to reclaim the area codes used by the other
'countries', assuring most likely we would never again at least in our
lifetimes ever run out of area codes, etc, and make it a lot easier to
do what you are talking about. PAT]

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
Go to Previous message: DLR: "Re: In With the New E-Mail, Out With the Old"
May be in reply to: gladman911@gmail.com: "How to Dial US Toll Free from Toronto"