TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: History of Hayes Modem

Re: History of Hayes Modem

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
23 Jan 2006 19:05:25 -0000

> That's true. I felt the original posting implied that Hayes invented
> something entirely new; which wasn't quite true.

As far as I know, his was the first modem to use in-band signalling.
It was really rather clever to build a UART into the modem and use it
to let the computer control the modem over the same channel as it used
to communicate with the remote system.

In-band signalling has its problems (that's what made blue boxes
possible) but in this case it let people hook up modems to their PCs
using a cheap generic serial interface.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: History: Pecking Order For Telephone Operator Jobs?"
Go to Previous message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: The Coming Tug of War Over the Internet -- Wash Post"
May be in reply to: The Great Idea Finder: "History of Hayes Modem"