TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)

Re: Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)

Tony P. (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:09:46 -0500

In article <telecom25.17.19@telecom-digest.org>, jmcharry@comcast.net
says:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:01:22 -0700, Anthony Bellanga wrote:

>> These days, more and more businesses outside of the US and Canada are
>> listing their full international number in adverts and such. You are
>> seeing more numbers displayed on the Internet and elsewhere (if you
>> see non-US/Canadian ads and such), as +44 etc (for the UK) or +81 etc
>> (for Japan), +33 etc (for France) etc.

> I pretty much agree with your comments, and would add another bit, mainly
> for NANP readers. The access code for domestic long distance in Europe,
> and a number of other areas, is 0. This isn't part of the international
> number, so if you see a number like +44 (0)20 ..., the zero in parentheses
> should be dropped. Similarly, where a national number is referenced, the
> leading zero should be dropped before prepending the international access
> code and country code.

The other day one of the guys in my office had to fax something to the
U.S. Embassy in Katmandu, Nepal. He kept keying in country/city/number
and it would get refused until I told him that international access
code for the U.S. was 011.

Go to Next message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps"
Go to Previous message: johnl@simone.iecc.com: "Re: Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)"
May be in reply to: Anthony Bellanga: "Worldwide Telephone Numbers (Re: How to Dial US Toll Free)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page