TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: History of Hayes Modem

Re: History of Hayes Modem

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.org)
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:49:49 UTC

Justa Lurker <JustaLurker@att.net> writes:

> Scott Dorsey wrote:

>> The Great Idea Finder <ideas@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

>>> Dennis C. Hayes invented the PC modem in 1977, establishing the
>>> critical technology that allowed today's online and Internet
>>> industries to emerge and grow.

>> Well, THERE is some pretty impressive revisionism. Hey, by 1977 there
>> were even kits like the Pennywhistle aimed directly at the
>> microcomputer community. --scott

> Yes, but wasn't a key difference between the two that the early modems
> like the Pennywhistle, etc. were more or less totally transparent to
> the data stream and the connection had to be manually dialed on a
> separate phone's keypad, the user had to listen for an answer tone
> before hitting "connect", manually disconnected at the end of the
> call, etc.

... which is not too far from the description of the old Bell
offering: you got (for $25/month rental) a (huge!) 103A2 with a
separate key instrument; if you wanted to originate a call you either
dialed it manually or paid $BIGBUCKS per month for an autodialer (the
model number of which I've forgotten). Perhaps it's an artifact of
excessive age, but every time someone refers to a PNG file I have to
restrain myself from "correcting" it to PND (Present Next Digit -- the
line from the autodialer to the computer telling it that the
autodialer is ready to receive the next digit of the telephone number
to be called).

Joe Morris

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: History of Hayes Modem"
Go to Previous message: Lena: "Re: In With the New E-Mail, Out With the Old"
May be in reply to: The Great Idea Finder: "History of Hayes Modem"