TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: History of Hayes Modem

Re: History of Hayes Modem

Tony P. (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.com)
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:00:00 CDT

In article <telecom25.14.16@telecom-digest.org>, kludge@panix.com
says:

> The Great Idea Finder <ideas@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

>> Dennis C. Hayes invented the PC modem in 1977, establishing the
>> critical technology that allowed today's online and Internet
>> industries to emerge and grow.

> Well, THERE is some pretty impressive revisionism. Hey, by 1977 there
> were even kits like the Pennywhistle aimed directly at the
> microcomputer community. --scott

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I know that the very first computer I
> owned (Ohio Scientific OSI-C-1-P) did not have any modem with it
> originally. I had people in those days ask me if I thought it would
> be 'worth their time or expense to invest in a modem.' I told people
> that buying a modem would increase the overall value of their computer
> ten-fold. And I cannot imagine today a computer without a modem
> connection of some kind, but I guess there are still some out there.
> PAT]

Most computers these days come with a NIC and not a modem. Laptops tend
to come with both.

Go to Next message: Justa Lurker: "Re: History of Hayes Modem"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Era of the BBS"
May be in reply to: The Great Idea Finder: "History of Hayes Modem"