TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

BobT (fake@invalid.net)
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:56:53 GMT

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:27:09 GMT, Ken Abrams <k_abrams@[REMOVETHIS]
sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I don't think this is true.

> If you have specified that you don't want an assigned (preferred) LD
> carrier, then a LD call DIALED "by accident" would not complete.
> Random carrier assignments are only made for those customers who state
> that they DO want LD service but don't have a preference for which
> carrier is used. This usually only happens when a new line is
> activated (installed, connected, turned on ... whatever).

> If you have specific information about a LEC that will do what you
> claim, please provide the details.

I suspect you are correct, but I have insufficient data to tell,
conclusively, from my experience.

Brief summary follows. Location, SBC, former Ameritech, specifically
Chicago. Incident involved intrastate local toll rather than
interstate LD. I had switched interstate LD carriers, and during the
transaction, without my knowledge, local toll carrier on one of my two
lines apparently was listed as unassigned, as you speculate. I rarely
use that line for outbound, but one month I had two local toll calls.
Both were assigned (randomly?) to Sprint, which charged me $1.19 a
minute (!) for a call from Chicago to Wilmette, a Chicago suburb.

After a bit of argument, it was agreed that SBC made the error, and
charges were reversed.

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
Go to Previous message: GarsDuBell@aol.com: "Re: Cost of POTS, w/o Long Distance"
May be in reply to: Bob Alan: "Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"