TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

John Stahl (aljon@stny.rr.com)
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:45:26 -0500

Bob Alan <t5@soalex.us> asked about Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance
on Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:48:50 -0500

> You can contact your local ILEC and remove any LD
> preferred carrier arrangement, if you wish.

One thing I failed to mention in my original answer, but the latest
response reminded me, was about the high costs the incumbents charge
to make simple (non-hardware) changes to your Teleco lines. In the
bill I mentioned in my response, there appeared a note (in the FYI
section) below the billing section regarding an increase in the charge
to change/modify LD carrier on the line. Verizon indicated that
effective the effective Jan 1, 2006, new rates apply when you change
your LD carrier but ... there were options in how much the charge.

If one calls the Verizon business office the charge is now
$5.50. However, if one were to establish an account on-line and use
the Internet (see, there are advantages -- at least for now -- in
using the Internet!), the charge to change LD carriers is only
$1.25. AND if you change both regional toll and LD carrier at the same
time the charge will be discounted an additional 50%.

Isn't that nice. Cost of doing business: one more reason to go to VoIP
(or even a cell) service.

John Stahl
Telecom and Data Consultant
Aljon Enterprises

Go to Next message: Ken Abrams: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
Go to Previous message: Eli Tomlinson: "Phone Problems and Question"
May be in reply to: Bob Alan: "Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"